The Cost of Being Strong

 

The Hidden Cost of Being the Strong One: Learning That Survival Is Not the Same as Living

“Wow, you are so strong Amelia .”I have heard these words many times throughout my life.

And every time, I know they are meant as a compliment.But sometimes I wonder if people truly understand what they are praising.Because sometimes strength is not something we choose.Sometimes strength is something life forces us to develop because there is no other option.Sometimes the people who look the strongest are simply people who learned how to survive.

And sometimes, behind the person everyone admires for being strong, there is a child who never got the chance to be one.For me, being called strong came with a cost.It cost me pieces of my childhood.

The Moment I Had to Grow Up Too Soon

I lost my mum while I was still in high school.There are certain moments in life that divide your story into “before” and “after.”For me, losing my mum was that moment.Before, I was a child with dreams, questions, and the freedom to simply grow.After, I became someone who felt responsible for holding things together.Grief changes you.It teaches you that life can change in a single moment.It teaches you that the people you thought would always be there may not always be there.And it leaves you trying to find strength in places you never knew existed.After my mum passed away, my dad moved on and built his own family. As the second eldest child, I found myself stepping into responsibilities I was never prepared for.I was still trying to understand my own emotions, but I also had younger siblings who needed care, guidance, and support.I became a helper.A protector.A provider.I helped raise my four younger siblings while trying to continue my education and create a future for myself.I was still a child myself, but life asked me to become an adult.I did not have time to ask:“Who am I?”“What do I want?”“What dreams do I have?”The question became:“What needs to be done?”And so, I did what many people who experience hardship do.I adapted.I survived.


Building a Future While Carrying a Family

I learned independence because I had to.I learned responsibility because people depended on me.I learned resilience because giving up was never an option.Education became my hope.I believed education could open doors that circumstances had closed.So I fought for opportunities.I applied for scholarships.I worked part-time jobs.I became a research assistant.I sold jewellery and food.I searched for every honest opportunity I could find to earn an income.I carried responsibilities while chasing my dreams.There were nights when I was exhausted but still had to keep going.There were moments when I felt overwhelmed but reminded myself that there were people counting on me.I learned how to be resourceful.I learned how to solve problems.I learned how to keep moving forward even when nobody saw how tired I was.From the outside, people saw determination.They saw achievement.They saw someone who was independent and capable.But they did not always see the weight behind it.

When Independence Becomes a Wall

Somewhere along the journey, something happened.I became so used to being the person who gives that I forgot how to receive.I convinced myself that needing people was a weakness.I apologised whenever I asked for help.I felt guilty when I spent money on myself instead of my siblings.I struggled to celebrate my own achievements because I was always thinking about what others needed.I became the person everyone could rely on.But I rarely allowed myself to rely on anyone.For years, I believed this was strength.I believed being strong meant:Never breaking down.Never needing support.Always having the answers.Always carrying the weight.But healing has taught me something important:There is a difference between being strong and being forced to survive.Survival teaches you how to endure.Healing teaches you how to live.


The Healing Journey

One of the hardest lessons I am learning is that the same independence that protected me can also isolate me.When you spend years telling yourself, “I can do this alone,” it becomes difficult to trust that someone else can stand beside you.When you spend years protecting others, it becomes uncomfortable to allow yourself to be protected.When you spend years being the strong one, vulnerability feels like a risk.But I am learning that vulnerability is not weakness.Asking for help is not failure.Receiving love is not a burden.Rest is not something you have to earn.Taking care of yourself is not selfish.Healing is not about becoming less strong.It is about learning that you do not have to suffer to prove that you are strong.Healing is giving compassion to the younger version of yourself who had to grow up too quickly.Healing is recognising that she did the best she could with what she had.Healing is telling that younger version:“You did not deserve to carry everything alone.”“You were allowed to be a child.”“You were worthy of care too.”

Strength Looks Different Now

For many years, strength was part of my survival story.But now, I want strength to become part of my healing story.Because maybe the bravest thing we can do is not always holding on.Maybe sometimes bravery looks like letting go.Letting go of the belief that we must always be okay.Letting go of the fear that we are a burden.Letting go of the idea that our worth comes from how much we sacrifice.I am learning that I do not have to prove my value by how much I carry.I do not have to earn love by how much I give.I do not have to disappear in order for others to shine.I am allowed to have dreams.I am allowed to rest.I am allowed to receive.

To Everyone Who Has Always Been “The Strong One”

If no one has told you today:You do not always have to be the strong one.You do not always have to have everything figured out.You do not always have to carry every burden silently.Sometimes courage looks like putting down the weight you have carried for years and allowing someone else to walk beside you.I often wonder how many people are praised for being “strong” when, behind closed doors, they are simply carrying wounds nobody ever noticed.How many people have become experts at saying “I’m fine” because they do not want to trouble anyone?How many people are exhausted from being everyone’s safe place while searching for their own?May we become a generation that creates safe spaces for healing.May we become communities where people are valued beyond what they provide.May we remind one another that needing support does not make us weak.It makes us human.Because behind every strong person is a story.Behind every achievement is a journey.Behind every smile is someone who also needs love, patience, and understanding.Strength helped me survive.But healing is teaching me how to live.And perhaps that is the greatest act of courage:To become not only the person everyone needed me to be…but also the person I needed when I was younger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let’s Talk: Real Conversations for Real Change – Reflections from Karoko Village

Culture, Tradition, and the Urgent Need for Safe Spaces

Empowering the Next Generation